Monday, January 3, 2011

Mascara Mayhem

By Jennifer Ennis

First up, Happy New Year!

Now on to one of my favourite topics of discussion - mascara. As the proud owner of what I like to call 'subtle' eyelashes, mascara is my best friend and something I never leave the house without. My favourite so far is CoverGirl's LashBlast Mascara, a gem for less than $10. The downside is it's only avaliable Stateside and on eBay. Which is grand. But I am always on the lookout for a local gem.

So for Christmas, I was kindly given two new ones, starting with Lancome's Hypnose Precious Cells Mascara.



I always thought the name of this mascara was a bit daft, but Julia Roberts looks stunning and classy as ever in the advertisement. The idea is that the mascara magically boosts lash growth through nurishment of the cells. However, this hasn't really been proven since by many critics. But as a mascara I must say it is pretty damn good! It is my first non-waterproof mascara to wear for an age but I was pleasantly suprised with how it held the curl. It gave a lovely dark yet natural and fluttery look and was very long-lasting. I am going to give it a testing period of a week but so far I am impressed. It is easy to remove also.

Verdict: 8/10 (so far)

The next was Maybelline's Volum' Express The Falsies Mascara.



This mascara has intrigued me for a while now, mostly due to the decent reviews and general credability of Maybelline mascaras anyway. The curved brush is a bit tricky at first but I read that once you take your time, the effect is worth it. And I have to say yet again that this mascara is also pretty damn awesome! It give wonderful length, definition and curl. It really does look like I am wearing false lashes yet natural looking ones as I hate the 'clearly fake' look. It is long-lasting, smells nice and the purple tube is very attractive.

Verdict: 9/10


I have to say that while these mascaras have impressed me, they are still not perfect and have not replaced my beloved CoverGirl. The search continues.... but what fun it is!

Images from Lancome.co.uk and Maybelline.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment