Sunday, February 28, 2010

New Beauty Faves

By Jennifer Ennis

YSL's Top Secrets Flash Radiance Skincare Brush

One of my favourite singers and a great beauty, Jessie Baylin, posted this on Twitter and I, being the ridiculous beauty addict that I am, went off investigating (even though I really don't need ANOTHER primer! Look out for a Top 5 feature soon). After reading up, I was impressed and intrigued.

This product is aimed at tired skin and is a make-up secret used backstage at fashion shows to give the models amazing, flawless skin. It contains a number of active ingredients, light refecting pigments, seweed derived sugar and wheat proteins which help restore your skin's beauty that may be lost through lack of sleep or stress.
So off I trotted to Debenhams and bought it for €48 (I also bought the Pore Refining Brush which is too drying for me. It is more suited to oily skin types). The price is probably the most I have ever paid for a single beauty item so I had high hopes and it works!

I don't use this daily, in fact I only use it the odd morning after a late night and I need a bit of help to look alive! It is a light formula with a light smell. Like the Perfect Touch Foundation, I am not too keen on the brush. I prefer to squeeze a bit on to the back of my hand and use that as a palette. It feels nice on your skin and dries quickly. When I applied it, my skin instantly felt better and looked great. My faults with this product are the packaging and price but the cream itself does exactly what it is supposed to.

Laura Mercier's Secret Camouflage


This concealer has a cult following, has won many Top Product awards and is a firm favourite of many make-up artists so I had been dying to try it for ages. It is quite pricey so I had to look around online and eventually found a good offer.

I went for SC-3 which is for medium skin tones. It comes with two different shades - one to match the skin colour, one to match the skin undertone and combined they give the perfect colour. The coverage is remarkable. I'm lucky to have quite clear skin but on the day I got this, I was sporting a bugger on my chin. I wore this concealer out that night and my chin looked flawless in the photos! The coverage is very thick but also non-drying. It has good lasting power also.

I have a slight problem with the packaging as I don't find it very hygenic (putting the brush/your finger back on the product after applying) but it can be half solved by cleaning your concealer brush daily and using a different finger every time you apply to different areas. For that reason I would prefer Benefit's Erase Paste but I use this for special occasions and I find the results brilliant. It is a great product.

Shiseido Eyelash Curler


I have very subtle eyelashes so mascara has always been my BFF. However after a quick chat with the sister who always has perfectly curled lashes, I discovered that it is not only a good mascara I need but only some help from an eyelash curler.

After using a drugstore brand one for a while which was starting to lose its spark, I decided to treat myself to a good one having learned how crucial they now are for me! After reading multiple reviews, I decided it was between Shu Uemura or Shiseido. In the end I went for Shiseido which I bought (including a refill) in Brown Thomas for €18. I tried it as soon as I got home and IMMEDIATELY noticed the difference! It was incredibly easy to use, never hurt and the results were long lasting. Now I use it for two seconds on each eye every day before applying my beloved BareMinerals mascara (see below) and my eyeslashes look better than ever.

BareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara


I'm a huge BareMinerals fan, and their latest mascara is easily my favourite ever. Free of synthetic dyes, parabens etc, this doesn’t clump and lasts all day. The brush is really slim and gives the most natural eyelashes I have ever had. It totally opens up my eyes and gives great curl and definition. I wear one coat during the day for a natural look and two at night for added volume. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this product! It is the only mascara I will use now.

All images from Sephora.com

No comments:

Post a Comment