Monday, May 3, 2010

New Beauty Buys


By Jennifer Ennis

Dior's Hydra Life Pro-Youth Skin Tint SPF 20

It's officially summer which means shopping for a few new bits for my make-up case! I prefer to wear less in the summer as my skin is usually in better condition due to more fresh air, longer daylight and less central heating. I came across this Dior product on Sephora.com over a week ago and I, being the beauty addict that I am, purchased it in Debenhams a few days later for €39. It is part of Dior's Hydra Life collection which features three plant extracts - Jisten, Centella and Black Rose - for maximum hydration. I was attracted to the packaging, SPF and the ingredients (no parabens, sulfates, synthetic dyes etc). I don't have too much experience with tinted moisturisers apart from Laura Mercier's so wasn't too sure what to expect.

However it has been a week now and I LOVE it! The colour is made for me and I love the texture. It is very natural looking, yet it gives great coverage. It smells nice too! It may be a bit shiny but it's nothing a dab of powder on your nose and forehead won't solve. I only need a tiny amount every morning and I use the MAC #187 brush to apply but you can use a sponge or your fingers for easy application also. It was a bit pricey but I feel it will last a long time as you only need a small amount to do your whole face. It takes no time at all to apply and the finish is flawless. I will be wearing this all summer!


Chanel's Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronze Universal

UK's Harper's Bazaar magazine described this bronzer as the nearest thing you will get to a tan from make up and as I hate orange/red bronzers I was lured by the sun-kissed promise! After reading a few reviews online, I bought this for €37.50 and was immediately flabbergasted by the size of it! In short, the tub is HUGE! It's definately worth the money and I predict it will last me 18 months no problem!

I have never used a cream bronzer before and I was always a bit worried about it smudging your make up, in particular powder foundation. The girl at the Chanel counter reassured me that once I apply a bit of finishing powder over my foundation before the bronzer then it shouldn't. However for now, I have just been dabbing a bit on my cheeks and forehead over the Dior moisturiser. Most people recommend using a brush but I don't like the way all the little hairs from any brush seems to stick in the product (ewww) so I have just been using my fingers. It is called a 'Universal' bronzer as it adapts to everyone's individual skintone. It sets to give a lovely matte finish which lasts all day with no touch ups. This product really suits my skin. I have tried a billion bronzers now as it is one of my make up staples (looking pale really does not suit me) and this is definately one of the better based on colour, texture, the gorgeous matte finish - and the size of the tub! It is definately brilliant value for the price and I look forward to it being my holy grail this summer!


MAC Lipstick in 'Full Fuschia'

MAC's Lip Conditioner in Fuschia Fix has been in my handbag for a while now and I adore the colour! As I have become quite the lipstick fan and as MAC's are not too expensive in comparision to other luxury brands (€17.50 as opposed to €25 for Chanel/YSL or even €45 for the great Tom Ford!) I decided to treat myself to one in BT2, Dundrum the other day. I decided to stick with the fuschia colour for a change as I usually go for coral or nude lipsticks. When I tried it at home, I realised just HOW strong the colour is, but I like it! It will look great later in the summer with a tan and I will wear it on nights out with a softer eye! Also, a bit of clear lipgloss over it makes it very striking and girlie! The MAC packaging is very cute also. I usually always research my make up buys but the odd successful whim every now and again is no harm. It's good to experiment!

Images from sephora.com, chanel.com and maccosmetics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment